When I feel like a sweet snack, I go for some homemade oat bars! You can easily store them in the refrigerator and have them on the go!
Servings: 12 bars
Preparation time: 1 hr
– ¼ cup of unsalted butter
– ¼ cup of vegetable oil
– ¼ cup of packed brown sugar
– ¼ cup of light corn syrup
– 1 cup milk or almond beverage
– pinch of salt
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 ½ cups instant oats
– 1 cup cream of wheat
– ½ cup of sunflower seeds
1. Melt butter, oil, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in the microwave or on the stovetop
2. Add milk and vanilla extract
3. Gradually add cream of wheat into mixture and mix
4. Add instant oats and sunflower seeds
5. Transfer mixture into a greased pan
6. Bake for 15-20 min at 325F or until inserted toothpick comes out clean
7. Refrigerate for 30 mins
8. Cut into bars, serve and enjoy!
What is cream of wheat?
Cream of wheat is a porridge mix made of wheat. It comes in many varieties, like instant cooking, whole wheat and flavoured. You can even find a gluten-free alternative, called cream of rice. What are the benefits of having cream of wheat or cream of rice? They both are excellent sources of iron!