Are you willing to try this healthier version of mac and cheese? This version is a vegan version and contains NO cholesterol and no dairy products! But it still gives you 17g of protein per portion, a considerable amount !
Servings: 4-6 portions
Preparation time: 30 mins
- 3 cups of macaroni, uncooked
- 3/4 cup of water
- 3 cups of diced pumpkin
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups of dry texturized soy protein
- Hot water
- Vegan cheese
- Cook macaroni until al dente.
- In a pot, put water, pumpkin and onion, and let simmer for 15 mins or until pumpkin is soft.
- Add coconut milk. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a blender, add the cooked ingredients (pumpkin, onion, coconut milk), salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Purée until smooth.
- In a bowl, rehydrate dry texturized soy protein by adding hot water, and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked macaroni, puréed pumpkin mixture and rehydrates texturized soy protein.
- Transfer into a baking dish, add vegan cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven at 375F for 5-10 mins or until golden. Serve and Enjoy!
What is texturized soy protein?
Texturized soy protein is a vegan protein source made from soy flour. In addition, it has NO fat or cholesterol! For every 1/4 cup of dry texturized soy protein, you get 11g of protein, 6g of carbs and NO fat!
It is an excellent meat substitute and can be added to almost every meal, since it does not have a strong flavour. It is very easy to use and only needs to be rehydrated before adding to your recipes. You can add this to soups, stews, sauces and even mac and cheese!