Servings: 18-24 cookies
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Orange sugar cookies:
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice (juice from about half of a large orange)
- Zest from one orange
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup of flour + Extra flour to roll the dough
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Food colouring
- Preheat oven at 325 F
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter and brown sugar.
- Add orange juice, orange zest, egg and vanilla extract. Mix.
- In another bowl, mix together all remaining dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder).
- Gradually incorporate dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Knead dough until it is smooth.
- On a flat surface, sprinkle flour, and roll the dough with a rolling pin (or with an ice wine bottle if you do not have a rolling pin or cannot find yours) until the dough is 1/8-1/4 inch in thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, form cookies into the desired shape.
- On a baking tray lined with parchemin paper, bake cookies for 12-18 minutes or until they are golden.
- For the icing, mix together icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Add a few drops of food colouring if needed. Ice cookies, let cook and enjoy!
|Orange Sugar Cookies (for one cookie)||Commercial Sugar Cookies (for one cookie)|