Servings: 8 portions
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 medium bell peppers, dices
- 225 g of white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups of barley, rinced
- 6 cups (1.5 L) of unsalted vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, brown onions with vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers and mushrooms, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, sun dried tomatoes, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low-medium heat, and add barley. Let simmer for 20 minutes without the lid or until all the water has been absorbed and the barley is cooked through. Mix occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add parmesan cheese, and mix. Serve and enjoy with cooked chicken or another source of protein.